Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants

From: Christian Aistleitner
Subject: Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:06:35 +0200

Hello,

Christian, I think that you should have said that reflection would be
just perfect for your AldorUnit

http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/software/aldor/aldorunit

You are right, reflection would be wonderfull for AldorUnit. However, that's not all I have int mind for reflection. For example, I wrote wrappers for Maple syntax and Mathematica's FullForm syntax. My further code needs to determine at runtime, which syntax wrappers are available. Therefore, the syntax wrappers have to register themselves in a central repository. But this is a pain. With reflection, we could do without such a repository.

For serialzation, a reflection framework proves handy sometimes.

There are lots of further examples :)

I am somehow reluctant to allow reflections in general, but for certain
types of problems (like AldorUnit) it would be quite advantagous. OR the
Aldor compiler would support AldorUnit and several other tools (relying
on reflections) that people come up with in the future, then reflections
are not so important in my eyes.

I agree that everything giving more reflection to Aldor is a step in the right direction. But I'd prefer to go for the full monty.

--
Kind regards,
Christian