Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants
Date: 27 Jul 2006 18:37:59 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| > I might mention that the lisp output would be significantly easier
| > to parse and maintain.
|
| Are you saying that aldor should not be translated to C or Fortran or
| whatever other target there will be in the future?

I'm not sure that is what is implied.

I share Tim's view that if this stuff has to be done not directly
within the compiler but by translating to an intermediate language,
then I think Lisp is a better choice.  However, I would see the
interface to be typed.  That does not preclude the use of Lisp as an
intermediate representation.

| I have no access to the LISP output at runtime of my program.

I suspect part of the suggestion is to have Aldor use Lisp as an
intermediate representation language.  Ideally, I would prefer to see
a Lisp-like language but with a more expressive type system.