[Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor translations

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Aldor translations
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:09:15 +0200

Axiom's core is currently based on Lisp, and I personally think this is
a Good Thing.  If we output Aldor to something other than Lisp, we face
the problem of communicating between the main Lisp environment and
whatever happens to the non-Lisp code Aldor has exported.  To me, this
seems to invite a world of compatibility issues, cross-platform
problems, FFI issues, etc.

If Axiom is an will be based on LISP that is fine with me, but you should note that Aldor is an ordinary programming language. Why would you want to restrict its applicability. If someone just likes Aldor and wants to use it in his environment with maybe lots of C-libraries, what does that hurt Axiom?

What I want to say is that Aldor is Aldor and not LISP. Anything that binds Aldor more closely to Lisp as it is now, is bad. That doesn't, however, mean that Axiom should use something else than the LISP output of Aldor.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to produce a symbolic library for Axiom and make it available to C programmers by simply targetting C as the Aldor output?

Ralf