RE: [Axiom-developer] differences wh-sandbox andbuild-improvements

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] differences wh-sandbox andbuild-improvements
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:20:53 -0400

On April 15, 2007 5:56 AM Gaby wrote:

> Build of Autoconf-2.6[01] fails for me with:
>
>   "The system cannot find the specified file"
>
> I've spent some time understanding this; I made some progress,
> but not to the point of getting pass that failure. my
> frustration with windows is only growing.

I think it best to avoid the trap that most linux developers
fall into when working with Windows. As far as I am concerned
it is just another operating system ...

> Bill Page wrote:
> > I built autoconf-2.61 and m4-1.4.9 directly from the gnu
> > distribution sources. Provided you have upgraded m4 first,
> > autoconf passes all tests.
> >

> I'm using m4-1.4.9 and ActivePerl-5.8.9 build 820.

I have:

$ m4 --version
m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.9

$ perl --version

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for msys

$ gcc --version
gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)
$ make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i686-pc-msys

----------

My first guess is that your problem might have something to do
with be the version of Perl that you are using. I have never
used ActivePerl for buidling MSYS/MinGW apps.

I prefer to install as much from the MSYS/MinGW distribution
as possible. See for example the instructions here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/BuildAxiom

under the heading "Building Axiom on Windows".

Then I built m4 and autoconf from the GNU sources without any
problems.

> > Apparently you can also install autoconf-2.61 and m4-1.4.7
> > binaries from:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=148008
> >

> yes, i donwloaded the autoconf package from there last night;
> I've not tried that version yet.

Let me know how it turns out.

> > Is there any particular reason you want to continue using
> > the older version autoconf-2.60?
> >

> my three main linux boxes are running that version,

I recommend that we go to autoconf-2.61 for all Axiom builds.