bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: seek and volume

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: seek and volume
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 20:59:34 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have changed the seeking code yet again.  It occured to me
>> that since relative seeking is causing all these problems,
>> we should just stop seeking relatively and instead calculate
>> what position we would like to be at and do an absolute seek.
>
> Hey, you're making progress!

Thanks! :-)

> There are a few bugs, though... :-)

What would I do without you?

> Seeking to 0%; I get "Elapsed time not available", where
> it used to just stay at 0% while the key was pressed.

Oh, I did that on purpose because VLC keeps saying it's at
zero seconds offset when playing a CD.  (In fact, it doesn't
seem to know the offset at all.)

I didn't realize how annoying it would be when using the
visual seeking interface.

Can you think of a workaround?  I guess we could start off
assuming zero means "zero", but if we keep getting zero for
more than a few seconds, assume it means "don't know"?

That would give good results in the normal case but flawed
results in the broken case of playing a CD with VLC ---
which seems reasonable.

> Seeking to 100%; the song ends and a new song starts, but
> seek mode exits. Probaby something signals an error?

You're right.  Thank you, I fixed this.

> The mpg123 back-end now has problems with the progress bar.
> It stalls during seeking.

I can't reproduce this and I'm not sure what you mean.
How does it stall and how you you provoke the stalling?

> (The mplayer back-end does not have any of the problems above.)

Good to know.  I'm actually surprised at how well mplayer
seems to react to seeking now.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>