bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Audio CD playback and CDDB support

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Audio CD playback and CDDB support
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:32:58 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I changed loads of things in the process of merging, which
>> means that any current bugs were probably introduced by me.
>>
>> Daniel, thank you for contributing this code and please
>> apologize my ruthless butchering and refactoring of it.
>>
>> I hope you are OK with the result.
>
> Don't worry about changing my code.  It is always a work
> in progress.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

> I'm excited to see this, particularly because of the new infoset
> property you have for buffers. I'll need to rework my collection of
> hacks that used other means for saving metadata.

It's reassuring that you feel good about it.  I'm curious
about what you've done and what you experienced doing it.
Would you say Bongo is easy to hack?  Is it hack-friendly?

I'm not really sure what an "infoset" is anymore --- more
and more information seems to want to be stored in them.
Now they carry track lengths and I have a feeling track
positions (or "elapsed times") want to be in there too.
Come to think of it, why aren't the file names in there?

I don't really see any problem with this, but I'm struggling
to see the concepts clearly.  Anyway, I don't have any grand
plan yet so I will just play along for now. :-)

I just reaziled I'm tired.  I got up early today and have
been rather focused and got a bunch of things done.

Maybe I will see clearer if I get some sleep.

> I have only yet tested to pop in a CD, but everthing looks
> basically good.  One thing needs to be fixed right away, though.
> I wrote about this issue in another message.
>
> You have elected to put the device inside the cdda URI.
> This particular syntax does not work with mplayer.
> Either mplayer needs to translate the URI or the URI needs
> to be changed.

I think it is reasonable to have the mplayer code deal with
parsing CDDA URIs and extracting the device name.  I prefer
the URI syntax used by VLC.  Having the device name at the
end is sort of like having http://index.html/www.google.com.

> We could use the infoset property for the device,
> for example.

Backends currently do not have access to anything other than
file names.  If desirable, we could let them, of course, but
for this case I don't see the point.  I think it makes sense
to encode device names in CDDA URIs --- kind of like how it
makes sense to encode directory names in file URIs.  What do
you think?

I'll sleep now.  Thanks again for your involvement, Daniel.
You and Romain are really pulling Bongo forward and hacking
it is so much more fun with you guys around.

Love,

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>