bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Audio CD playback and CDDB support

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Audio CD playback and CDDB support
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:27:07 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>
>> I'm excited to see this, particularly because of the new infoset
>> property you have for buffers. I'll need to rework my collection of
>> hacks that used other means for saving metadata.
>
> It's reassuring that you feel good about it.  I'm curious
> about what you've done and what you experienced doing it.
> Would you say Bongo is easy to hack?  Is it hack-friendly?

For example, I made a modified Last.fm mode for Shoutcast streams. I'll
rewrite it now, and hopefully it'll be more than a hack.

I haven't done much Emacs hacking before, so I can't really compare
Bongo with something else. Well, I guess Emacs in general is easy to
hack. But I think you're doing a great job.

>> Either mplayer needs to translate the URI or the URI needs
>> to be changed.
>
> I think it is reasonable to have the mplayer code deal with
> parsing CDDA URIs and extracting the device name.

OK. I'll write this fix, unless you already have something cooking.

> I think it makes sense to encode device names in CDDA URIs ---
> kind of like how it makes sense to encode directory names in
> file URIs. What do you think?

I agree it makes sense. Obviously the mplayer and VLC teams also thought
so. Too bad there's no universal standard for this. (Or is there?)

> I'll sleep now.  Thanks again for your involvement, Daniel.
> You and Romain are really pulling Bongo forward and hacking
> it is so much more fun with you guys around.

I'm glad to hear that.