bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo wishlist #13: XMMS refugee map

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo wishlist #13: XMMS refugee map
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 22:42:32 +0100

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to convince one of my friends (Cc'ed) to use
> Bongo instead of XMMS.  He has a whole list of Bongo pet
> peeves on which I will elaborate later,

Cool.  This should be interesting.

Hi Cyril! :-)

> but the first is that the default map uses keys that are
> too difficult to type.

Hmm, that might be true.  I haven't tried Bongo with QWERTY.
In Dvorak (with [Ctrl] to the left of [A]), `C-c C-s' is one
of the easiest things to type on the whole keyboard, I think.

> He's used to the keys used in XMMS, which are the leftmost keys
> on the bottom row of a qwerty keyboard: z, x, c, v and b, [z] for
> previous, x for play, c for pause, v for stop and b for next.

It's almost eerie how we've managed to leave most of those
keys unallocated.  Both `z', `x' and `b' are free (`c' and `v'
are taken, however --- for copying and changing the volume).

> Perhaps we should add those keys in a different map and
> allow the user to select that map if needed; emacs-w3m
> does that, it has a map with lynx-like bindings and
> another with Info-like bindings.
>
> What do you think?

I don't think I'd like to move `c' and `v' and allocate the
others (`z', `x' and `b') for this purpose, so I'd want to
make it a user option --- just like you suggest.

Let's think about what the XMMS-refugee map should be like.
Should we move `c' and `v' to `C' and `V' and reserve the
shifted variants of the others (`Z', `X' and `B') for the
corresponding purposes?

That way, we would contain the change.  If we start moving
keys around, this change could keep rippling and we might
end up with two completely separate keymaps.  ...though, on
the other hand, QWERTY/XMMS people might _want_ a completly
separate keymap tailored for them.  Is this necessary?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>