bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo wishlist #13: XMMS refugee map

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo wishlist #13: XMMS refugee map
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:14:32 +0100

Cyril Bouthors <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11 Dec 2006, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Well, I implemented this --- see `bongo-xmms-refugee-mode'.
>>
>> It's on by default if Bongo finds `xmms' or `beep-media-player'
>> on your system.  Otherwise just set it through Custom.
>>
>> Let me know if I screwed up.
>
> Daniel,
>
> I've tested this new feature thanks to the new Debian
> package provided by Romain.

Nice!  Thanks, Romain.

> This works great. Thank you.

Cool.  I'm glad to hear that.

> The only thing that is not reacting exactly as in XMMS is when the
> music is stopped and you press b b b. Under XMMS, it simply goes to
> the next tracks without playing them but under bongo, it play them.
>
> Would it be possible to change this?

Hmm, interesting suggestion.  First, let me point out that you
may say `3 b' to skip three tracks and play the one after that.

There is currently no command that will move the current track
marker without starting to play anything.  We could change the
behavior of `bongo-play-{next,previous}' so that these commands
would play tracks only if some track were being played already.

I see two problems with this.  First, the names of the commands
would no longer correspond directly to their behavior.  Second,
the behavior would be inconsistent with other playback control
commands like `bongo-play-random' (which plays a random track
regardless of whether any track is currently being played).

So it would be better to make a new pair of commands for moving
the current track marker up and down and bind `z' and `b' to
those commands instead.  Having contemplated it for a few days,
I believe we should also put the new commands on the normal
keymap and that `P' and `N' is the best place to put them.

My next best choice was `C-c M-p' and `C-c M-n', but I think a
better binding for those is `bongo-play-{previous,next}-album',
or something to that effect.  Then we could even have logical
semantics for `M-P' and `M-N' (please say it?).

Another good thing about `P' and `N' is that you can easily hit
them multiple times in succession.  That will be useful for
moving the current track marker.  I think it will be less
important to be able to easily hit `C-c M-p' and `C-c M-n'
multiple times in succession.  (The reason is the same as why
you usually don't hit `C-c C-p' and `C-c C-n' over and over.)

Sound like a good plan?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>