cardinal-dev

[Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...

From: Erik Bågfors
Subject: [Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...
Date: 08 May 2002 10:24:20 +0200

I created a mini-basic to parrot assembler compiler this weekend.  It's
not done yet but it was a fun project.  Of course the compiler is
written in ruby.

So it's definitely possible to write the compiler in ruby if we like
(not that anyone thought otherwise :) )

The main reason I wanted to do this is for fun and learning more about
compilers and parrot.  I didn't take the compiler construction class in
school unfortunately, so this was all new to me.

Creating this compiler gave me 1000's of question about how the language
Independence in parrot can be possible.

Looking at .Net and how it tries to be language independent one can see
that all languages has to be modified a little bit (or alot).  For
example they all need to be (at least partially) object oriented and
they can't do multiple inheritance. I've heard people saying that VB.NET
feels like C# with another syntax.  I know I don't want my ruby to
change lots just because It's running on parrot.

So, I was planing on putting lot's of question into a mail and sending
either to this list or to the perl6-internals list (which I'm not on
currently, I just read the archives). Of course these are question to
which I have not found answers either on parrotcode.org or in the
perl6-internals archive.

What do you think Dan, shall I just send the mail here?

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | address@hidden
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 733 279 273