cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...

From: Erik Bågfors
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...
Date: 13 May 2002 16:38:34 +0200

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 18:11, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 10:24 AM +0200 5/8/02, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> >I created a mini-basic to parrot assembler compiler this weekend.  It's
> >not done yet but it was a fun project.  Of course the compiler is
> >written in ruby.
>
> Cool. If the project can run with a stock Ruby, I'm OK adding it to
> the Parrot CVS repository once it's stable and going. The limitation
> on required tools only applies to the base project, not to things in
> the languages directory. (Or some of the other ancillary places, like
> the editors or examples directory)

I don't know if it will ever be "stable and going".  I just created it
for fun and never had any plans on it acctually being usefull in any
way.  I see no reason to add it to the parrot cvs, but I will put it up
for people here to view.

I started it by just being able to do small stuff without much use and
then it has grown and turned rather "hackish" instead of refactoring it
and getting some nice code out.  The point is that it is definetaly
doable to create something like this in ruby.

I didn't want to bother with parsing at all but just
parrot-assembly-creation so I just grabbed the rockit parser and used
it's MiniBasic as a start for the compiler.  So it just needs ruby and
rockit to work.

> >So, I was planing on putting lot's of question into a mail and sending
> >either to this list or to the perl6-internals list (which I'm not on
> >currently, I just read the archives). Of course these are question to
> >which I have not found answers either on parrotcode.org or in the
> >perl6-internals archive.
> >
> >What do you think Dan, shall I just send the mail here?
>
> Send them to both places. The questions and their answers will be of
> interest to a lot of people.

Whenever I get time to gather them up in my mind I'll do that.
Many of them might have been discussed before but my searches through
the archives couldn't find them...

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | address@hidden
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 733 279 273