cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 12:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Phil Tomson wrote:

> On 8 May 2002, Erik [ISO-8859-1] B?gfors wrote:
>
> > I created a mini-basic to parrot assembler compiler this weekend.  It's
> > not done yet but it was a fun project.  Of course the compiler is
> > written in ruby.
> Could you post it somewhere on the web so we can take a look?
>
> Could you post a description of the steps you followed to do this?

Yes, please to both of these.  I'd be happy to put the code online for you
if you haven't a place for it.

Maybe the 'how i wrote it' could go up on the rubygarden wiki.

> > So it's definitely possible to write the compiler in ruby if we like
> > (not that anyone thought otherwise :) )
> >
> > The main reason I wanted to do this is for fun and learning more about
> > compilers and parrot.  I didn't take the compiler construction class in
> > school unfortunately, so this was all new to me.
>
> Yeah, I think there are several of us who didn't take that compiler
> construction class ;-)

It's certainly going to be new to some of us.  Again, putting some notes
up would let the rest of us benefit from your experiences (and maybe from
the wisdom of others here who've taken the classes and can coment on all
of our ideas.)

> > Creating this compiler gave me 1000's of question about how the language
> > Independence in parrot can be possible.
> >
> > Looking at .Net and how it tries to be language independent one can see
> > that all languages has to be modified a little bit (or alot).  For
> > example they all need to be (at least partially) object oriented and
> > they can't do multiple inheritance. I've heard people saying that VB.NET
> > feels like C# with another syntax.  I know I don't want my ruby to
> > change lots just because It's running on parrot.
>
> From what I've seen of .NET it's not very amenable to dynamic languages.
> It seems that Parrot will be much more flexible than .NET.  I suspect that
> early versions of Cardinal will not be fully Ruby compliant, but that as
> Parrot matures and Cardinal matures we'll be able to be  very compliant
> with Ruby.

I don't think that cardinal being an incomplete, inaccurate ruby at first
is a big issue.  Right now, parrot can't even handle objects well enough
for cardinal, that will change.  Right now, there is no cardinal, that
will change.

-pate