cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...

From: Dan Sugalski
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] Just for fun...
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:39:27 -0400

At 4:38 PM +0200 5/13/02, Erik Bågfors wrote:
On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 18:11, Dan Sugalski wrote:
 At 10:24 AM +0200 5/8/02, Erik Bågfors wrote:
 >I created a mini-basic to parrot assembler compiler this weekend.  It's
 >not done yet but it was a fun project.  Of course the compiler is
 >written in ruby.

 Cool. If the project can run with a stock Ruby, I'm OK adding it to
 the Parrot CVS repository once it's stable and going. The limitation
 on required tools only applies to the base project, not to things in
 the languages directory. (Or some of the other ancillary places, like
 the editors or examples directory)

I don't know if it will ever be "stable and going".  I just created it
for fun and never had any plans on it acctually being usefull in any
way.  I see no reason to add it to the parrot cvs, but I will put it up
for people here to view.

Fair enough. I just don't want folks to think it has to be all in
perl, or come from the perl6-internals list, to be worth including in
the CVS repository. As far as I'm concerned, anything that uses
parrot is worth it, and things like this are viable as projects worth
hosting on the parrot CVS repository. (Though I may have to convince
the guys who actually do the work of administering the repository
that it's worth it :)

I didn't want to bother with parsing at all but just
parrot-assembly-creation so I just grabbed the rockit parser and used
it's MiniBasic as a start for the compiler.  So it just needs ruby and
rockit to work.

Which, while it means it'll not be appropriate as part of the core
parrot, doesn't mean it's not suitable for the languages section of
the parrot repository.

 > >So, I was planing on putting lot's of question into a mail and sending
 >either to this list or to the perl6-internals list (which I'm not on
 >currently, I just read the archives). Of course these are question to
 >which I have not found answers either on parrotcode.org or in the
 >perl6-internals archive.
 >
 >What do you think Dan, shall I just send the mail here?

 Send them to both places. The questions and their answers will be of
 interest to a lot of people.

Whenever I get time to gather them up in my mind I'll do that.
Many of them might have been discussed before but my searches through
the archives couldn't find them...

Works. Google's apparently pretty up to date on the perl6-internals
list archives, and if someone can dig up the Magic Syntax to get
google to restrict itself to just the perl6-internals archive it'd be
a help.
--
                                        Dan

address@hidden                         have teddy bears and even