cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers

From: Dan Sugalski
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:22:25 -0400

At 1:12 PM -0400 5/9/02, Pat Eyler wrote:
i'm trying to learn more about compiler writing by looking at the scheme
and mini-perl compilers in the languages sub-dir of parrot.  Are these
good approaches?  Or is there another example to look at (I'm also looking
at flim, a small front-end to gcc)?

You might find it more useful (though admittedly more expensive) to grab a textbook or other reference, rather than working from code for something like this.

Just off the top of my bookshelf, I'd recommend _Modern Compiler Design_ by Dick Grune, Henri E. Bal, and Ceriel J. H. Jacobs. Published by Wiley, mine has an ISBN of 0-471-97697-0. (Some folks may point you at the dragon book but don't listen to them--it's not that good, despite its status as a classic)

FWIW, there are minimally three steps in a compiler:

1) Turn text into tokens
2) Turn tokens into AST
3) Turn AST into bytecode/native code

Granted, awfully big steps, but... :)