cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:36:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> At 1:12 PM -0400 5/9/02, Pat Eyler wrote:
> >i'm trying to learn more about compiler writing by looking at the scheme
> >and mini-perl compilers in the languages sub-dir of parrot.  Are these
> >good approaches?  Or is there another example to look at (I'm also looking
> >at flim, a small front-end to gcc)?
>
> You might find it more useful (though admittedly more expensive) to
> grab a textbook or other reference, rather than working from code for
> something like this.

yes, i plan on it ... this is my to buy, borrow, ask for list (does it
make sense?):
Programming Language Essentials
  Henri Bal, Dick Grune             1994

Parsing Techniques: A Practical Guide
  Dick Grune, C. Jacobs             1991

Modern Compiler Design
  D. Grune, H. Bal, C. Jacobs       2000

Building an Optimizing Compiler
  Robert Morgan, C. Robert Morgan   1997

The Art of Compiler Design
  Thomas Pittman                    1997

the Dragon Book
  Alfred V Aho                      1985

Compiler Construction: Principles and Practice
  Kenneth Louden                    1997

> Just off the top of my bookshelf, I'd recommend _Modern Compiler
> Design_ by Dick Grune, Henri E. Bal, and Ceriel J. H. Jacobs.
> Published by Wiley, mine has an ISBN of 0-471-97697-0. (Some folks
> may point you at the dragon book but don't listen to them--it's not
> that good, despite its status as a classic)

that makes me feel better about not having gotten much from it the last
time i checked it out of the local library ... ;)

-pate