cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers

From: Phil Tomson
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers
Date: 10 May 2002 19:19:28 -0700

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 10:22, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 1:12 PM -0400 5/9/02, Pat Eyler wrote:
> >i'm trying to learn more about compiler writing by looking at the scheme
> >and mini-perl compilers in the languages sub-dir of parrot.  Are these
> >good approaches?  Or is there another example to look at (I'm also looking
> >at flim, a small front-end to gcc)?
>
> You might find it more useful (though admittedly more expensive) to
> grab a textbook or other reference, rather than working from code for
> something like this.
>
> Just off the top of my bookshelf, I'd recommend _Modern Compiler
> Design_ by Dick Grune, Henri E. Bal, and Ceriel J. H. Jacobs.
> Published by Wiley, mine has an ISBN of 0-471-97697-0. (Some folks
> may point you at the dragon book but don't listen to them--it's not
> that good, despite its status as a classic)

Dan,

Thanks for the recommendation.  I ordered "Modern Compiler Design"
today.  I've tried to slog through the dragon book in the past but it
just didn't seem to get to the issues I wanted to deal with quickly
enough... and I thought it that since it was a classic that the problem
was on my end ;-)

Phil