cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers

From: Dan Sugalski
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] existing parrot compilers
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:37:00 -0400

At 1:36 PM -0400 5/9/02, Pat Eyler wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:

 At 1:12 PM -0400 5/9/02, Pat Eyler wrote:
 >i'm trying to learn more about compiler writing by looking at the scheme
 >and mini-perl compilers in the languages sub-dir of parrot.  Are these
 >good approaches?  Or is there another example to look at (I'm also looking
 >at flim, a small front-end to gcc)?

 You might find it more useful (though admittedly more expensive) to
 grab a textbook or other reference, rather than working from code for
 something like this.

yes, i plan on it ... this is my to buy, borrow, ask for list (does it
make sense?):
Programming Language Essentials
  Henri Bal, Dick Grune             1994

Parsing Techniques: A Practical Guide
  Dick Grune, C. Jacobs             1991

I've not got those two, so I can't comment.

Modern Compiler Design
  D. Grune, H. Bal, C. Jacobs       2000

This one we already know my opinion of. :)

Building an Optimizing Compiler
  Robert Morgan, C. Robert Morgan   1997

I've got this, and I like it, but it's dense.

The Art of Compiler Design
  Thomas Pittman                    1997

Not got this one.

the Dragon Book
  Alfred V Aho                      1985

Don't bother. It's a waste of money and time at this point. Other books are much better.

Compiler Construction: Principles and Practice
  Kenneth Louden                    1997

Not seen this one either.

Guess it's time for Quantum Books to get more of my cash...

--
                                        Dan

address@hidden                         have teddy bears and even
                                      teddy bears get drunk