chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:55:22 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Alejandro Forero Cuervo
<address@hidden> wrote:

>  Ok, actually it can be argued that the releases/N change does make it
>  possible for new features to start showing up in old eggs, given that
>  you can one day release stream-wiki 1.12 in
>  releases/2/stream-wiki/tags/1.12 and then, one month later, release
>  stream-wiki 1.12 in releases/3/stream-wiki/tags/1.12, with a
>  completely different codebase (or the same thing swapping the /3/ and
>  the /2/).
>
>  The fact that the new system supports this is only one of the multiple
>  reasons why I think this change breaks chicken-eggs enough that I'm
>  right now seriously looking for other systems to move my code from
>  chicken-eggs into (with one option being simply just copying it all
>  into Svnwiki).

Sorry, I don't understand this at all. Do you agree that someone who
has to maintain a system with an old chicken-version doesn't want to
get bleeding edge features in eggs when reinstalling a set of extensions?
Being able to run chicken-setup without the need to do personal
backups of particular egg versions is something that I consider
really useful (I do it myself - since chicken-setup handles the
dependencies for me, I usually install directly from the egg server,
and not from local backups).

>From personal experience I know that it is not possible to take
into account all changes between chicken versions. Keeping
a codebase suitable for all chicken releases is simply not possible
or ends up in tangled constructs of conditional compilation.
As much as this is desirable, it is not possible.

Can you elaborate on what you mean with "breaks chicken-eggs"?

You are of course free to use whatever system you prefer, but
I would consider it a very regrettable decision to switch to another
system for packaging (and forget about about scmpkg or snow -
these may have more features but do not get the amount of
testing or usage we have with eggs). But perhaps you can give
us more details about the things you can not accept with eggs
and which you find in other packaging systems.

cheers,
felix