chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:55:42 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

>  This means you need an egg file for every egg release.  Chicken-setup will
>  fetch the latest egg it can find *with compatibility for your chicken
> version*,
>  as stated by the meta file.  It would be an error if bar turns out not to
>  exist for all the same chicken versions foo is said to support.  (salmonella
>  could check this, BTW)

Hm... So you keep .egg files around? I dunno... I don't like this. There
should be one egg for each major release that represents the official
working version for that (chicken) release. It would probably be good
to have a "development" egg that represents the development version.

What do you mean with "as stated in the metafile"? What kind of information
(an example would be good) would you like to specify there? How would you
want to state with what eggs are compatible to each other, for a given
major release of a "base" chicken?

>  I don't see how this is much harder than what we have now.

I think we should go into more detail if we want to avoid to state repeatedly
that we don't understand each other, which should be clear enough by now.

cheers,
felix