chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:17:54 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:55:42AM +0100, felix winkelmann wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >  This means you need an egg file for every egg release.  Chicken-setup will
> >  fetch the latest egg it can find *with compatibility for your chicken
> > version*,
> >  as stated by the meta file.  It would be an error if bar turns out not to
> >  exist for all the same chicken versions foo is said to support.
> > (salmonella
> >  could check this, BTW)
>
> Hm... So you keep .egg files around? I dunno... I don't like this. There
> should be one egg for each major release that represents the official
> working version for that (chicken) release. It would probably be good
> to have a "development" egg that represents the development version.

What about my example from Rails?  If one develops an app with one egg, and
that egg gets a backwards-incompatible update to itself, while the Chicken
release remains the same, you must have a way to stick that old egg on your
brand new server you want to deploy the old app on.

> What do you mean with "as stated in the metafile"? What kind of information
> (an example would be good) would you like to specify there?

* The chicken versions it is known to work with
* The dependencies and their exact version

If a dependency gets a new release, you can only get that new dependency
working with the egg if the egg gets an update in its meta file and a new
release is made of the egg.

> How would you
> want to state with what eggs are compatible to each other, for a given
> major release of a "base" chicken?

As described above.

> >  I don't see how this is much harder than what we have now.
> >

> I think we should go into more detail if we want to avoid to state repeatedly
> that we don't understand each other, which should be clear enough by now.

Sure.

--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth