chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:44:38 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >
>  > Sorry, I can't follow. If I install chicken on a new machine,
>  > and run chicken-setup, it will fetch any eggs for my particular
>  > major version. By updating eggs in the svn repository regardless
>  > of the release branch (which, If I understand correctly, you imply
>  > when you want to keep a single codebase for old and new
>  > chicken major versions and thus update a new stream-wiki
>  > revision in both r2 and r3) the user will get your updated code
>  > with the new features. Am I misunderstanding this here?
>
>  I think that's what currently happens (chicken-setup *always* installs
>  the latest version for your chicken release), but I think that's
>  also what we do not *want* to happen.

Quite the opposite: for a pre-3.0.0 chicken, chicken-setup installs
the egg from the release/2 branch - this is what we *want* to
happen to not surprise users of old chickens.

>  To take an example from Ruby; its rubygems are very much like eggs.
>  With that, you can say gem install --version 1.2.0 rails
>  for instance, and you get the outdated 1.2 version of Rails. At work
>  we still have some sites running on that version and 2.0 is
>  incompatible with it, so we *need* this functionality.  However, on
>  all systems we have the same version of Ruby itself installed, since
>  1.8.something has been out for ages and hasn't really changed a lot.

But isn't it nearly impossible to formalize what particular set of chicken+eggs
is compatible with each other? Once I install version X.Y.Z of a given egg
manually, I have lost any assurance that it really works with the set of eggs
I already have installed. Stating what works with what explicitly is very hard
to get right and possibly not even known.

>  In any case, the current release system is just getting
>  in the way, not just in the above example but in general.  People are
>  confused about the layout and having as many 'trunk's per egg as you
>  have releases is bound to cause problems sooner or later.

You are confused because you try to maintain old eggs. Just switching
from .../eggs/NAME to ../eggs/release/3/NAME is something that I
cannot accept being confusing. Saying "people are confused" without
being more specific is handwaving.

cheers,
felix