chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:28:50 -0800

> What do you think about having a `global' directory under `releases',
> so developers who don't want to maintain per chicken release egg
> branch (or don't want old chicken versions to use feature crippled
> eggs) can keep their code?  We'd have something like this:
>
>   chicken-eggs/release/2
>   chicken-eggs/release/3
>   chicken-eggs/release/global
>
> The ones who want to maintain only one branch, chicken release
> independent, for their eggs, put the code under `global' (or a better
> name).  These eggs should be published to all the release repository
> locations (i.e., http://call/cc.org/eggs and
> http://call/cc.org/eggs/3, currently).
>
> The ones who want to keep eggs according to chicken major version
> should user release/<major-version>.  In this case, the publication
> should be done as it is nowadays.
>
> I'm proposing this because I feel the main discussion is about
> problems for developers, not for users, as long as eggs work.
>
> Developers who adopt the `global' structure should be very careful
> regarding to dependencies versions, since they may come from any egg
> release branch.

I would be leaning more for a proposal that forces eggs to always be
in the same location, say /eggs/stream-wiki/ (or, as before,
/stream-wiki) and extends the existing semantics (provided by .meta,
and /tags) in some way to support the requirement of making it
possible to go back to one particular set of eggs.

I will try to work on a concrete proposal for how to do this in the
following week.  I'll probably use the wiki and send the URL here once
I'm done.  I'll try to accomodate everyone's wishes as much as
possible.  I think the result won't be a half-baked system that
doesn't please anyone, but that we'll very likely be able to do a much
better job of working together come to some good compromises and
agreement.  Therefore, I'd ask for the discussion to be postponed for
a week or so until I've put it together.

Thanks.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/