chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:42:59 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Alejandro Forero Cuervo
<address@hidden> wrote:
> > As an end user I don't want new features showing up in old eggs. The
>  > old egg should be exactly as it was when it was released baring
>  > perhaps serious bug fixes. The old releases are kept around to keep
>  > things *stable* for those who cannot change for some reason. Now, it
>  > should also be possible to install any version of an egg on an old
>  > version of chicken with a little manual intervention.
>
>  No one is proposing that new features show up in old eggs.  Old eggs,
>  once released, will never change.  Even serious bug fixes result in a
>  new release, not an update to an old egg.  If you don't want upgrades,
>  do not update your eggs.  Felix did not change this nor are we
>  proposing that it is changed.

Sorry, I can't follow. If I install chicken on a new machine,
and run chicken-setup, it will fetch any eggs for my particular
major version. By updating eggs in the svn repository regardless
of the release branch (which, If I understand correctly, you imply
when you want to keep a single codebase for old and new
chicken major versions and thus update a new stream-wiki
revision in both r2 and r3) the user will get your updated code
with the new features. Am I misunderstanding this here?

cheers,
felix