Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13
Date: 09 Feb 2002 15:56:14 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 10:24, Eric Blake wrote:
> >                           Name: verify-jikes.libgcj
>
> It looks like all the errors listed in this file were "incompatible type
> on stack", in other words, side effects of your ClassLoader hack.

Yeah. Sorry about all the false positives. It did show some bugs in the
libgcj verifier earlier though, so it was not a complete waste.

> >                        Name: verify-jikes.gcj
>
> I have addressed all the errors listed in this file.  With the attached
> patch and the latest CVS version of jikes (as of 9:15 am UTC Feb 9),
> this should be completely resolved.  If you agree with me, then I will
> tag the current version of jikes CVS as stable, and bump the version to
> 1.15b.

Yes, could you please also add a note in the INSTALL file about this
version (were to get it and that the jikes developers recommend this
version for compiling Classpath, etc, etc.) I can generate binaries for
GNU/Linux x86 and powerpc if you want.

> Shall I go ahead and commit the patch?

Yes please. But could you please explicitly mark these as "FIXME
workaround for <compiler> bug" in the source code so we don't
accidentially remove them again in the future (for example when we
remerge with libgcj). And could you in the future please separate
indentation formating from code change, that make the diffs easier to
read.

This great, you even put in some workaround for gcj which now enables me
to get around the problem I had with ORP and gcj compiled classes when
testing DatagramSocket.

Thanks,

Mark