Re: java.util.logging

From: Brian Gilstrap
Subject: Re: java.util.logging
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:58:46 -0600

Sascha,

> I am extremely glad that you are interested in discussing the API
> and our respective implementations.  Also, I totally agree with
> what you wrote about the advantages of working together.  So, I am
> very much looking forward to doing this.

Great!

> An administrative question: Do people really want copies of our discussion
>  on the address@hidden mailing list? I am not sure it will be of
>  interest to everyone involved with GNU Classpath.  What about taking
> the discussion somewhere else, e.g. to your javalogging- address@hidden
>  list (which is archived as well)?

I agree that this is probably not of interest to the entire GNU
Classpath list (also, I'm not currently a member of the list and have
plenty of other list emails to wade through... :-).

Using a discussion list at SourceForge seems like a great idea. There is a javalogging-developer mailing list that I had not previously made public (because there wasn't anyone else to talk to :-). I've also arranged for every posting to the developer forum on SourceForge to be forwarded to address@hidden It is archived at:

        http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/12859/0/

Why don't we use address@hidden for our discussion?

> Nope, we use the same naming style. One big difference is
> MemoryHandler (6589 bytes [including MemoryHandler.RingBuffer] vs.
> 1899 bytes).  This is a place where my implementation is simpler
> (and it will be interesting to discuss the respective advantages
> and disadvantages).

Just this one comment is already getting me revved up for a great discussion. It will be nice to discuss things with someone who has also taken a serious look at the spec.

> PS: I won't be able to do much for the next week or so, so please
> don't think I've lost interest if you don't hear from me
> immediately. I'll be back.

I'm in the same boat. I won't be able to much of anything until about March 10th or so. I'll look forward to hooking back up to get things started when our schedules loosen up a bit.

Brian

--
Brian R. Gilstrap
address@hidden

"Doubtless, like all of us, he was many men, turned on one or another of
his selves as occasion required, and kept his real self a frightened
secret from the world."  --Will Durant