Re: Preparing for 0.06 release

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Preparing for 0.06 release
Date: 14 Aug 2003 19:15:28 +0200

Hi,

There is (in a couple of minutes) a first test tar ball up at:
http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/classpath-0.06-test1.tar.gz (5.4M)
And I would appreciate it if someone could try it out.
But there are still some things todo before 0.06.

- More bugs...

        3207    API installation fails, argument list too long
        Postponed?

        3872    Extra optional Exceptions thrown in e.g.
        List.remove(Object) since 1.4
        Postponed?

        4118    java.text.RuleBasedCollator is incompleted
        Unanalyzed.

        4120    Locale collation rules incorrect (or missing)
        Unalalyzed.

        4357    HTTP Request Headers should be handled Case Sensitive
        Unanalyzed.

        4477    PrintWriter.checkError() gives wrong result sometimes
        Seems to work for us, but libgcj is wrong. Strange, analyzis
        seems to indicate
        that this should also be a problem for us...

        4741    java.util.GregorianCalendar returns 0 for the first week
        of the month
        Unanalyzed.

        4742    java.io.StreamTokenizer behaves differently from Sun's
        implementation
        Unanalyzed.

- VMThread.
Postponed.

- VMSecurityManager
Postponed.

- VMMethod
Unanalyzed/Postpone?

- Import new external libraries
  - GNU-JAXP

- make dist.
Now creates a nice tar ball that can then be used to just
./configure && make && make install.

- make distcheck.
Would be nice to be distcheck clean, but currently we have lots of files
left after a make clean (mainly lib/*/ .class files).

- gjdoc
Played with it a bit and almost have it working, but gjdoc from CVS
doesn't build out of the box for me. I have to add the GNUJAXP sources,
play with resource paths a bit. Now still have to add a xml.transformer.
The Debian package from unstable is broken.

- .so files
Make install doesn't create .so files for me. For example I now have in
        /usr/share/classpath/lib/classpath:
        libjavanet -> libjavanet.0.0.0
        libjavanet.0 -> libjavanet.0.0.0
        libjavanet.0.0.0
        libjavanet.la
No .so files.
Linking libjavanet.so -> libjavanet.0.0.0 by hand seems to work.

- tar balls
  - Create tests
  - Where to host? (alpha.gnu.org)

- NEWS file

- Announcement
  - Write
  - When to announce?
  - Where to announce?

- Bumb version number and tag tree just before final tar ball.

I am slowly going through this list. Hopefully resolving all items so we
have a real 0.06 tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark