Re: Preparing for 0.06 release

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Preparing for 0.06 release
Date: 14 Aug 2003 19:40:59 -0400

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> There is (in a couple of minutes) a first test tar ball up at:
> http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/classpath-0.06-test1.tar.gz (5.4M)
> And I would appreciate it if someone could try it out.
> But there are still some things todo before 0.06.
>
> - More bugs...
>
>         3207  API installation fails, argument list too long
>         Postponed?

Would 'find ... | cpio' fix the problem since the args are piped into
cpio instead of expanded on the command line...?

> - Import new external libraries
>   - GNU-JAXP

Will do tonight after dinner.

> - make dist.
> Now creates a nice tar ball that can then be used to just
> ./configure && make && make install.
>
> - make distcheck.
> Would be nice to be distcheck clean, but currently we have lots of files
> left after a make clean (mainly lib/*/ .class files).

It has never worked, worked almost completely with 0.05.  Does 'make
DESTDIR=/tmp/foo install' still work?

> - gjdoc
> Played with it a bit and almost have it working, but gjdoc from CVS
> doesn't build out of the box for me. I have to add the GNUJAXP sources,
> play with resource paths a bit. Now still have to add a xml.transformer.
> The Debian package from unstable is broken.
>
> - .so files
> Make install doesn't create .so files for me. For example I now have in
>       /usr/share/classpath/lib/classpath:
>       libjavanet -> libjavanet.0.0.0
>       libjavanet.0 -> libjavanet.0.0.0
>       libjavanet.0.0.0
>       libjavanet.la
> No .so files.
> Linking libjavanet.so -> libjavanet.0.0.0 by hand seems to work.

Is this a libtool problem or auto*?  I'll give it a try later.  I
think it works for me though.

automake 1.6.3
autoconf 2.53
libtool 1.4.2