classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] autoconf/automake

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] autoconf/automake
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:56:54 -0000

> Good point! Debian Sid (unstable) has a package for autoconf 2.52 but
> not for automake 1.5a.

And unstable won't be around for a while. I suspect that many people still
use the old autoconf.

> Again, these tools are only required for developpers. If you are a
> developper testing against gcj you have to install a very recent
> (experimental) snapshot of gcj so I suppose you may as well install
> experimental version of autoconf and automake.

Err... that doesn't really follow. I maintain my GCJ without experimental
autoconf/automake.

> Of course if you don't test against gcj you could have got away with the
> current makefile!

Remind me... what is the problem with GCJ and using the current makefile?

> Automake 1.4 does not accept source code in sub directories. That makes
> it useless for java (not only gcj), one would need a Makefile in each
> java package... You really need something more recent to consider using it
> in java projects.

One makefile in each sub-directory is how Per Bothner manages things over at
the GNU-Kawa project (it's a scheme (and more!) compiler for the JVM).

I don't like that - but if we need automake for some reason we _could_ use
that system.

Nic