classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] autoconf/automake

From: Olivier LF
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] autoconf/automake
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 22:36:52 +1100

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:56:04AM -0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> > You'll need recent versions, I have:
> >
> >    autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52e
> >    automake (GNU automake) 1.5a
> >
> > from CVS, maybe a month ago. You only need these tools as a developer to
> > modify Makfile.am and configure.in files. Users don't need anything
> > (except shell and make of course!).
>
> AFAIK support for these tools is not widespread yet. Is it wise to use them?
>
> My debian box has the following setup by default:
>
>   autoconf 2.13
>   automake 1.4
>
> These are popular versions. As you probably know there are interdependancy
> problems with future revisions that have prevented some people moving to the
> newer versions.

Good point! Debian Sid (unstable) has a package for autoconf 2.52 but
not for automake 1.5a.

Again, these tools are only required for developpers. If you are a
developper testing against gcj you have to install a very recent
(experimental) snapshot of gcj so I suppose you may as well install
experimental version of autoconf and automake.

Of course if you don't test against gcj you could have got away with the
current makefile!

Automake 1.4 does not accept source code in sub directories. That makes
it useless for java (not only gcj), one would need a Makefile in each
java package... You really need something more recent to consider using it
in java projects.

Olivier

Olivier Louchart-Fletcher
Email: address@hidden