Are there Windows users of cons? Rajesh

From: Zachary Deretsky
Subject: Are there Windows users of cons? Rajesh
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:56:13 -0700

> In fact, if anything, bringing windows builds to be
> equivalent to unix builds in cons has been the focus
> of, maybe, the last 50 changes in the cons CVS tree (if
> you would like to check it out, please feel free.)

> I personally use cons for windows development extensively,
> and I have faced some quirks with bash vs. tcsh or windows
> cmd prompt, but overall anything that I found, we pretty
> much fixed (or it turned out to be some local script or
> even worse, perl, problem).

Rajesh,

you are not responding to the specific 3 issues I brought up.
I am re-attaching the fixes so that your actions can be where
your words are.

The first is the bug fix which Tony posted a year ago.
The second is my version of cons at the revision 1.122 level.
It has changes necessary to use Greg's extension and it addresses
the long link line problem by creating temporary files.
(There is now a module for that in Perl 5.6.1)
Both of these were discussed on this list. Please email me
separately if you need more info.

> I must admit that the wonderful world of the IDE is something
> that I haven't had the time to investigate. I believe Steven K.
> has done some work in that area and like Tony K. points out,
> it is probably a moving target.. but I agree that support for
> the 800-pound gorilla is a must if we can successfully state that
> cons is supported under windows. After all, not everyone works
> the same way with windows.
>
> That said, I haven't seen much by way of active volunteering
> either in the complex world of windows build environments. It
> is much easier for users who use IDEs to contribute to what
> they think cons should do under the world of IDEs than someone
> like me who doesn't use it, and tries to guess from the problem
> description.

I am supporting 25 engineers in two countries which use Visual Studio for
development. The build button invokes cons and Conscript files are the same
for the interactive and batch builds on Windows and on unix.

And all works pretty well with Greg's module, I only need the above fixes
in the current cons, so that we can use the latest features.

I would also like to move other products under cons (we merged with another
company, 65 developers total), but aforementioned lack of support prevents
me from being a champion here.

Thanks, Zach.