RE: Some questions for Cons

From: Sanatan Rai
Subject: RE: Some questions for Cons
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:45:39 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

: Since for our products, we only support on Win4.0. So I would like to know
: whether Cons works pretty good on Win4.0. I am a perl user, and I have
: experiences on coding perl on both Unix and Win32. It looks like perl works
: better on Unix than on NT. We used to create a function using perl on Unix,
: but can not realize it on Win32. We have to use C++ to realize this
: function. Perl on Win32 is better now, since more and more people are
: developing more modules.
:
: I would like to know whether Cons meet the same problem as perl has?

        I would guess that Cons would run into trouble because it is a
biggish perl script which creates lots of functions and things.

        What you might try if you haven't already, is to install Cygwin's
GNU tools for Win32, and then invoke and run Cons from the bash shell. I
suspect that some of the limitations of perl that you see have more to do
with the way the NT shell cmd.exe handles things.

        If you find that the full GNU suite is a bit much for a customer,
then you could pare it down so that you supply only the bash shell and the
things it needs. That shouldn't take up too much space, and will offer
direct comaptibility with Unix.

--Sanatan

--
Sanatan Rai,                      | E.-mail: address@hidden
Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 100 N. Whisman Road 4316,