dazuko-devel

Re: [Dazuko-devel] Device file events

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] Device file events
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:02:35 +0200

Abhishek Nayani wrote:
> In the Linux 2.6 code, dazuko_get_full_filename() ignores all device
> files due to
> this specific piece of code:
>
> #ifndef DAZUKO_FIST
>     if (!S_ISREG(xfs->inode->i_mode) && !S_ISLNK(xfs->inode->i_mode))
>         return 0;
> #endif
>
> Is there any specific reason to filter out /dev ? This is not so in the 2.4
> codebase.

Hi,

Dazuko uses LSM for Linux 2.6. LSM generates *many* events for devices and
directories, which caused many unnecessary context-switches resulting in
performance problems. For this reason Dazuko for Linux 2.6 was confined to
only generate events for regular files and links.

At some point we will be moving away from LSM because it is a huge
maintenance issue, is not suited for what we want, and is very difficult for
end-users to work with. Once we are away from LSM, we can once again allow
vnodes of all types.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer