dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Re: DazukoFS (was Re: Device file events)

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Re: DazukoFS (was Re: Device file events)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:08:09 +0200

Abhishek Nayani wrote:
> I guess the sequence will be bottom to top. Like:
>     mount / -> mount dazukoFS on / -> mount /home -> mount dazukoFS on /home
>
> The only issue would be with removable media for which there are no fstab
> entries. Most of the newer distributions are using hotplug to mount USB flash
> drives and other external storage media. One way would be to either monitor
> /etc/mtab || /proc/mounts to know of a mount event and then mount dazukoFS on
> it or to wrap the mount command itself. Both look messy to me. Any solutions ?

Yes, this would be the biggest problem I see. We should investigate and
compare how the various distributions handle removeable media. As far as I
know, SuSE/Novell uses submount to manage removeable media, which could make
things even trickier.

I have another question for you. You mentioned that you tested FiST with
hooking. How did it work. Several months ago I did a bunch of tests with it
and had a lot of stability and performance problems. How was your experience?

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer