Re: dejagnu version update?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Subject: Re: dejagnu version update?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 20:43:00 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 16 May 2020, Rob Savoye wrote:

> >  Overall perhaps a patch management system might be good having to make
> > chasing patches easier, such as patchwork, and we already use Git, so we
>
>  As an old GNU project, we're required to use what the FSF prefers,
> which is on savannah. https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=dejagnu,

 Hmm, as a youngster who's been around for twenty-something years only (my
first patch was for glibc, back in 1998) I haven't even heard of this
patch service before.  It doesn't appear linked to our mailing list either
and instead you need to go through the hoops of a web interface (and open
an account first) to submit a change.

> Our
> bug tracker is there their too. We've used that for a long time. Yes,
> patches in email are harder to track.

 That's precisely what patchworks is for, which has been used to various
extent for the GNU C library, GCC and GDB already.  All of which projects
are of similar vintage to DejaGnu and I reckon rather important for the
GNU project.  Given that our main patch submission channel is e-mail,
what's the point in using a system that does not accept one?

  Maciej