Re: Replacement applications on nonfree systems

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: Replacement applications on nonfree systems
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 13:36:43 +0200

On 2021-08-27 05:27, Richard Stallman wrote:

  > Thanks, I added "we don't review single-platform free software for
  > proprietary operating systems.

That is correct, but incomplete.  To be complete, it should say this:

   We don't review free programs that don't run on GNU or GNU/Linux.

If a program runs on two or more different nonfree platforms,
we still do not review it.

Even if it runs on BSD or Replicant, but not GNU or GNU/Linux, we
still do not review it.  We don't disapprove of them morally, but we
don't study them because that would be outside the scope of our
activity.

I will add that. But first, should this text be modified in https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Requirements#Free_programs ?

BSD is Unix-like. However, LibertyBSD is under evaluation (https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Incoming_distros). If it gets approved one day, should we extend the text to?: