Re: Replacement applications on nonfree systems

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: Replacement applications on nonfree systems
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 08:11:49 +0200

On 2021-08-25 07:19, David Hedlund wrote:

The only thing I kept is a short description for single-platform free software for proprietary operating systems.

Example, https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:IOS#iOS-only_free_software, https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:IOS#OnionBrowser

"OnionBrowser

Onion Browser is a free web browser for iPhone and iPad that encrypts and tunnels web traffic through the Tor network. See the official site for more details and App Store links."

Sorry, I corrected the name https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:IOS#Onion_Browser (Onion Browser, not OnionBrowser) and removed "App Store"  (proprietary) from the description. So it's now:

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:IOS#Onion_Browser

Onion Browser is a web browser that anonymizes web traffic using the Tor network.

* Adding a section with a short description is fair in my opinion because that is how the free software replacement pages on gnu.org were structured (eg https://www.gnu.org/software/for-ios.html that now redirects to https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:IOS).

* I didn't add the https://github.com/OnionBrowser/OnionBrowser#how-to-build-yourself (but all dependencies are free) because adding building instructions for each entry is extra work. However, let me know if I should add it.

* The official website is https://onionbrowser.com/, should we add it? I forgot if this was allowed or not on the old free software replacement pages on gnu.org.