RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update

From: Ettus, Matt
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:56:12 -0800

I'm actually working on a high end syste, like this.  It is USB2 based,
instead of firewire.  It has 4 analog inputs (10 bits, 60 MS/s), 4 analog
outputs (12 bits, 120 MS/s).  We're about to get prototype boards made, and
it will eventually be sold in the $200 to $400 range, depending on
configuration.  Hopefully by late summer it will be available.

>There is where I have gotten stuck.  I haven't been able to find a
>single chip firewire-2 solution, which would be ideal.  It would require
>less configuration that ethernet, and I believe that Firewire-2 can
>provide enough power to power the ADC without an external powersuppy.

IMHO, Firewire is a bad idea because you need very heavy embedded stacks,
and those don't come free.  USB2 is much simpler.

Matt