Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:49:32 -0800

At 06:04 PM 1/12/2003 -0800, Eric Blossom wrote:
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 03:13:56PM -0800, Chris Albertson wrote:

> In the wide band area, it seem there is a lot you can do that is
> not done:  You could in theory recieve the entire amature 2 meter band
> at once.

I think this particular idea is a great application for GNU Radio.  We
should be able to build something that looks at the entire swath of
spectrum, finds interesting stuff (project in itself), figures out
what's the appropriate demodulator to use (another project), and then
builds a pipeline on the fly with the appropriate software channel
selection filter/downconverter/decimator and demodulator.  This could
of course also log to disk.  Think of it as TiVo for Amatuers.

And not just for amateurs. In the late '80s some friends and I discussed building a specialized scanner converter so we could capture a wide swath of the HF band and encode it into video, store and retrieve it via some IF tricks turning a VCR into an inexpensive wideband data recorder. Alas, after some more calculations it was clear that VCR performance was not up to the task. There is a large number of SW enthusiasts worldwide who would love to have a SW-TiVo so that whole bands could be recorded, time shifted and replayed one station at a time.

steve