Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:13:56 -0800 (PST)

If you want ideas...

I think you need to look at your (potential) users and why they are
attracted to GNU Radio.  I think very few of them will just say
"wow a _software_ radio! Cool."  No, if GNU Radio is to be a hit
outside of a very rarified group of true geeks it will have to do
something.  Either something that nothing else can do or do it
cheaper or "free-er".

The weak link in any software radio is the ADC.  With present
technology there are two ways to go, Lots of bits or lots of samples.
You can have 24-bits or 100M sample per second but not 100M 24-bit
samples.   I think this means you either go for wideband or for weak
signals.  Ignore the middle ground.  You don't need a
3 Ghz Pentuim IV to pick up an AM broadcast station.
You can't get HDTV bandwidth down a sound card and you
can't get 100db noise floor (required for weak signal work.) with a
12-bit ADC.  So you have to choose one at a time.

One other thing you can do with present technology is to use two
ADC chips and do the conversion in quadrature.  Once you have
coherent radios you can do interresting things like combine signals
from multiple radios in phase.  Synthentic phased arrays ans so
on.  Radio astronamers do this kind of stuff.  Once you have a
Synthentic phased array then someone will start thinksing
"software radar"
In the wide band area, it seem there is a lot you can do that is
not done:  You could in theory recieve the entire amature 2 meter band
at once.  There is another opensource software radio project "linrad"
that is going the weak signal route.  Already it seems to work better
then most off the self radios for it's purpose.  They are using
high-end sound cards for ther 106db dynamic range.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  address@hidden
  Cell:   310-990-7550