Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What is a ppio_ppdev?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What is a ppio_ppdev?
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:30:33 -0800

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:46:22AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day,
>
> whilst executing wfm_rx.py from the the usrp1 example collection I
> encountered
> the following problem:
>
> husky: {158} ./wfm_rcv.py 10.7e3
> audio: using audio_oss
> usrp: found usrp rev2
> ppio_ppdev: Not implemented on this platform
>
> Running NetBSD, I suspect this to be a Linux specific device.
>
> Can someone enlighten me on this?

wfr_rcv.py is trying to talk to a microtune 4937 eval board that is
controlled by bit-banging the parallel port.

ppio_ppdev is one of the ways that's been implemented to bit-bang the
parallel port.  See gnuradio-core/src/lib/io/ppio*.{h,cc}
We have in the past also used raw IO access, but it was removed since
it required that you be running as root.  It's still in the CVS attic,
it could be recovered if needed.

In general we should abstract the interface to the RF front end.
The the user would specify -- perhaps through some kind of preference
file -- which specific RF front end to use.

Eric