Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] aUaU

From: cfk
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] aUaU
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:02:26 -0800

> wfm_rcv_gui.py doesn't use any kind of front end.  What are you using?
> Piece of wire?

Well, actually, it is a piece of wire. Its one of my multimeter probes (the
black one as opposed to the red one) connected to a banana-BNC adapter and
the banana-BNC adapter is connected to a BNC-SMA adapter connected to the
RX-A input of the USRP.

I normally get a significantly strong signal from KBIG here, as it is the
strongest signal in the entire band from 30Mhz to 500Mhz. Its EIRP is 105,000
watts, line of sight about 35 miles to Mt. Wilson. My office is on the second
floor and I get great reception from Mt. Wilson.

I can see many other stations from Mt. Wilson here with my spectrum analyzer
including my ham repeater on 448.9Mhz whose output is just 50watts, also with
a piece of wire, but it has a -120dBm sensitivity and thats another story
altogether.

> The "aUaU" are "audio underruns".  The are normal.  They are a result
> of two non-synchronized clocks: the USRP clock and the sound card
> clock.  They are not a function of CPU speed, etc.  We could stop
> reporting them if it makes people feel better ;-)

OK, just thought there might be a speed thing going on. I can observe that the
audio gets a little better if the stdgui window is really small as opposed to
really large. I tried commenting out the vbox.Add's but it just makes it the
same as the small stdgui window.

An interesting problem to study.

With Respect, Charles Krinke WA6LWB