Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What is a ppio_ppdev?

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What is a ppio_ppdev?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:12:56 +1030

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:54, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> According to the ppbus(4) documentation,there appears to be support for
> such device - ppi(4) - see below:
>
>            o  a user interface named ppi(4) that allows parallel port
> access from outside the kernel without conflicting with kernel-in drivers.
>
> However, I failed to source the man page for ppi(4). I've posted an email
> to the relevant NetBSD mailing list for more info about this interface.

It sounds like the one in FreeBSD..

It's a bus which allows you to connect different drivers to the parallel port
without them conflicting - eg lpt and ppi (which is a "geek port").

The ppi interface is pretty simple - open /dev/ppiX and do ioctl's on it to
frob bits - the Atmel AVR programming tool avrdude uses it if you want to see
some example code.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum