Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Binary packaging problems on x86_64

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Binary packaging problems on x86_64
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:59:55 -0800

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:09:56AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I noticed a problem when building GNU Radio on x86_64 platforms. GNU Radio
> for
> some reasons insists to install them into ${prefix}/lib64 where as pkgsrc
> expects them in ${prefix}/lib.
>
> <quote>
> # GR_X86_64()
> #
> # Checks to see if we're on a x86_64 machine, and if so, ensure
> # that libdir ends in "64"
> #
> </quote>
>
> Whilst GNU Radio builds fine on x86_64, it fails to create the binary
> packages
> for it since it can't find gnuradio-core and gnuradio-core-qa libs. Are libs
> on this platform always installed into lib64 or is this a quirk on GNU Radio?
>
> I'm clueless since I don't run this platform.
>
> cheerio Berndt

My direct experience is with SuSE.  From reading the docs, Gentoo
looks like it works the same way.  I don't know about any others.

On x86_64 machines, GNU/Linux supports building and running both
32-bit and 64-bit applications concurrently.  The executables are put
in $prefix/bin as normal, and the header on the executable tells the
kernel whether to set it up for 32-bit or 64-bit operation.  In
addition, there are potentially two sets of libraries, a 32-bit
version and the 64-bit version.  Under SuSE and gentoo the 32-bit
stuff goes in $prefix/lib and the 64-bit versions go under
$prefix/lib64.  On the X86_64 we only build 64-bit versions of our
code, thus the libraries end up in $prefix/lib64.

The gr-build/buildit script adjusts the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to ensure that
$prefix/lib64/pkgconfig is on the path, so that we can find our stuff.

I run with this configuation on SuSE on x86-64:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/opt/gnome/lib64/pkgconfig
PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib64/python2.4/site-packages

Hope this helps,
Eric