Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Binary packaging problems on x86_64

From: Larry Doolittle
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Binary packaging problems on x86_64
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:05:07 -0800

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:16:10AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> On NetBSD, ${libdir} always has native libraries, where native means
> the instruction set and word size defined by the combination of
> hardware and which kernel is being run.  Then, other libraries go in
> /emul/foo, where foo can denote other operating systems or other
> architectures.

I guess this is the example that Debian follows.  There are
rumors of Debian multi-arch on the way, and I don't know how
or if that will change things.

> So, rather than Berndt adapting the package, GNU Radio should be
> changed to only munge libdir on systems where such munging is the
> convention, and the list sounds like most but not all GNU/Linux
> systems.

At least not Debian Sarge, and Sid as of today.

> -  if test "$host_cpu" = "x86_64"; then
> +  if test "$host_os" = "Linux" -a "$host_cpu" = "x86_64"; then
> +    # XXX Debian may not use this convention.

In the spirit of autoconf, shouldn't this check behavior,
instead of enumerating systems?

if test -d ${libdir}64; then ...

       - Larry