Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] My First HDTV screenshot from USRP

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] My First HDTV screenshot from USRP
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:11:37 -0400

Eric Blossom wrote:

<soapbox-mode>

  You know, I wish you guys would quit screwing around with the 0.9
  code, and instead help us *all* move forward by investing some time
  in porting it to 2.x.  The framework is already set up, and the
  first 4 blocks have been ported and tested.  I'd really like some
  people to step up and finish it off.  It's in CVS under gr-atsc.
  We've also got *much* faster filtering algorithms in 2.x.  We might
  even be able to get it running in real time on a dual processor
  machine.  Today's machines are a lot faster than when we first wrote it.

</soapbox-mode>

Roughly every 18 months, available CPU speed doubles. Which means that using todays machines, if you can just-barely-not-quite do real time now, in 18 months you'll be able to, on a machine that costs you roughly what your current machine cost you. Single-CPU Moores law *is* slowing down some, but multi-core appears to be making great
 strides.

My astronomy apps are pigs. But I can do useful stuff with them. On my single-processor 2.6Ghz Celeron D, I can manage 2Mhz of combined total-power and spectral observations. On
 Lamars Dual-CPU Xeon, he's able to do 8Mhz using the same code.

My pulsar application can run at roughly 1Mhz bandwidth on my single-CPU 2.6Ghz Celeron D, and we haven't tested it on Lamars Dual Xeon system yet. When the de-dispersion filters get longer,
 that 1Mhz will be pushing it on a single-CPU system.

I'm having a hard time believing that processing ATSC video is a *less* CPU-intensive application than
 pulsar processing, but I could be completely wrong.