Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:10:44 -0600

NI has a reputation for fiercely protecting their patents.  They sued The
MathWorks
over Simulink in a lengthy and hard-fought case and won in a jury trial in
2003.
This is why, to this day, you can't change source block parameters via dialog
box or
other visual or "control panel" means while a simulation is running in
Simulink.
After that court decision, NI used litigation (or the threat of it) to subdue
(or
acquire) certain program vendors with block diagram style user-interfaces.

My guess is that at some future point, new additions to Ettus radio will be
offered
under some type of business-oriented licensing model that ensures a software
revenue
stream for NI (in addition to the radio hardware).  That has been NI's model; in
following this company since the mid-1980s, I don't see it changing.

-Jeff