Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News

From: Juha Vierinen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 18:29:28 +0200

> Today, as the next step in the growth of our company, we are very proud to
> announce that Ettus Research has been acquired by National Instruments
> Corporation (NI, http://www.ni.com).  NI was founded in 1976 to transform
> the way engineers and scientists around the world design, prototype, and
> deploy systems for test, control, and embedded design applications.

This is scary, but there are also some possibilities involved here
too. This will give Matt more resources, which can benefit us if used
correctly. And I guess nobody can turn down the possibility of making
a couple of million bucks.

I have always told NI people (including the local CEO) that their
software and hardware sucks, because it is expensive, restrictive and
runs well only on windows. We have bought hardware from NI for over
ten times the price of a USRP and we still use USRP because it simply
works better for us in terms flexibility and ease of use.

Here is my wish list:
1. Maintain hackability of the hardware, keep the schematics open. And
please, don't require proprietary rack mounting connectors.
2. Try to maintain the community.
3. And please, don't require me to find my latest NI update cds and
serial numbers for my labview. I have no idea where they are.
4. Matt, please don't turn into a NI sales droid, at least not for
another 10-20 years.

juha