Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News

From: Don Fanning
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:43:14 -0800

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Matt Ettus <address@hidden> wrote:

Don,

If anyone out there that is actually a part of this community feels the way you do, I'd love to hear it.  But you just showed up and started making accusations.  I've been contributing to GNU Radio for nine years now.  I'll answer your questions for the sake of everyone else, though.

Matt,

Your work is very commendable in regards to GNU Radio and you deserve your accolades as well as your new success with NI where I wish you even more success.  The questions I've had for you have been purely business and nothing personal so if you feel that the questions I've asked are accusations, then please accept my humble apologies as to the intent.

My goal here is to further the longevity of any open source project by making sure the knowledge and IP is there for future generations.  It is all too often that a company such as Ettus LLC will change or do something that is contradictory to the open source movement thusly creating a "landlocked" community.  For instance a certain radio company that advertises a piece of equipment with a "open standard" however uses proprietary vocodecs.