Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:13:19 -0800

On 02/05/2010 12:31 PM, devin kelly wrote:
I have questions about the UHD.  What license will be applied to it?
  Will the sources be provided or binary only? (I suspect sources, but
want to be sure)  And will the UHD be taking the place of libusrp2.so?

The UHD code will ALL be open source. In ADDITION to GPL it will ALSO be available under a license which allows it to be linked into non-GPL and/or closed source applications like LabVIEW and Simulink. This is commonly known as dual-licensing. We still need to work out the exact wording of this license.

And yes, it would supersede libusrp2.so.

Also, more general, from the perspective of the user (me) what will
change?  From the announcement it seems that not much will change for
the user.

Users will not notice anything different. We are still committed to the same core values of open source and open standards we have always had.

Matt