Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News

From: Don Fanning
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:30:34 -0800

David Burgess wrote:
You want layout files? You think there's something wrong with Ettus withholding them? Fix the situation. The design is free in the sense that you are free to hire your own engineer to make your own layout from Ettus' free schematics. Then after you pay for that you can put your money where your mouth is and put those layout files on the web under GPL. You'd be the big hero who put Matt in his place.

-- David

Because one possesses the schematics doesn't mean one can make their own layouts. All Amateur Radios come with schematics but I don't see droves of people copying their product. Repair shops are filled with schematics of devices but yet I don't see them selling bootleg copies out the back door. That's why people buy the product. And that's why Matt deserves the props and profits he gets. But for the longevity of an open source project, some files should be released such as this. Look at the RepRap. All the pieces can be reproduced from the board level up to the bracket.

And before we go personal here, let's not discuss your project and how you're working other people's efforts to your advantage.
(For which I'm a supporter of...)